With that being said and off my chest, I'll try to recap our experiences during the past three weeks.
We left Gene and Penny's in Liviingston, TX after we came back from the visit to Santa Fe, TX to see my siblings. We made it to Abita Springs, LA by early afternoon. The RV park was nice, but I couldn't get cell phone or internet service (had to buy my internet service), we couldn't get satellite, and we only had 30 amps. And it was hot and humid, raining nearly every afternoon. We did enjoy the hot tub several times though and Willard caught one fish. Rocky enjoyed his walks, but didn't like walking in the wet grass. Guess he's an Arizona dog for sure.
![]() |
| This scrapbook customized with Smilebox |
One day we went to New Orleans and visited the French Quarter http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/fq/?gclid=CPaNzYDJ_6ECFRuenAodJmlwCw . We rented a horse and buggy for a tour of the area. It was really interesting. One of the most interesting stories our guide told was about the New Orleans cemeteries. You can read about them at this site: http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/tours/cemeterytours.html We shared a shrimp Po-Boy sandwich and some Beignets (French doughnuts), while being entertained by some sidewalk Blues musicians. We also saw the Mississippi River once again, and visited some of the shops on Decator Street. I especially liked the Voodo Do Store. It was awfully hot and humid, so we didn't stay all day. We were really impressed with the 25 mile bridge across Lake Pontchartrain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Pontchartrain_Causeway . We had to travel it to get to and from our RV park and New Orleans.
Another day we went to Bay St. Lewis, Mississippi to Silver Slipper Casino http://www.golfcoast.com/casinos/silver-slipper-casino/ . Didn't have much luck, but enjoyed the trip. The casino is right on the bay about 500 feet from the beach. The RV park there was about $30 a day. We didn't stay there, but it would be fun parking there if you wanted to be a beach bum for awhile.
Abita Springs had a Crawfish Festival, so we just had to go. I finally got to go to a crawfish boil http://mrcrowder.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/crawfish-boil.jpg . We ordered 5 pounds of crawfish, new potatoes,and corn on the cob all cooked together. They dumped it all in a paper sack and off we went to one of the tables under a big tent. There was a band playing music on the bandstand and a couple was dancing. People were milling about as we watched to see how to eat our lunch. Like all the others, we tore open the paper sack and begin eating with our fingers. Thank goodness there were plenty of napkins on the table. Wish my camera battery hadn't died. The woman sitting next to me took a picture and said she would email it to me, but no picture, as yet.
We left Abita Springs and went to Dick Albritton's in Couderant, LA to install some upgrades on our coach. It was a beautiful part of the country. Earl and Samie were there. It was good to see them again. The last night there we had a great jam session. Early the next morning we hitched up and drove to Meridian, Mississippi.
We've been in Meridian 5 days. It's been a good stop over. We visited the Jimmy Rodgers Museum again http://www.jimmierodgers.com/. We were here 8 years ago, but rushed through. This time we took our time. And the museum guide was very informative. We also visited the Dentzel Carousel http://www.meridianms.org/culture_attraction.htm. I had my first experience riding on a carousel. I'm sure it would have been more fun if I were a child, but I survived getting on and off my horse as gracefully as possible for a 70 year old youngster.

1 comment:
Jean, I enjoy reading your blog. It's what I wish I was organized to do on our web site. Pictures, web links, great comments. Thanks for all your efforts. I love following your travels!
Post a Comment